The Michigan State University Department of Family Medicine functions as a collaborative network with the following purposes:
- Training physicians who will provide quality, compassionate, cost-effective primary care.
- Providing patient care in settings characterized by excellence and innovation.
- Conducting community-based research.
- Advancing knowledge relevant to primary care and medical education.
- Advocating the ideals of family medicine to students, residents, and the community.
- Serving the people.