As the College of Human Medicine has expanded its community base, especially into the Grand Rapids community, the MSU Department of Family Medicine realized that recognition of the entire non-prefixed faculty and the structure of the department across campuses would be crucial to its departmental mission.
In 2009, work began in Grand Rapids on the concept of remaining a unified, active and visible department under a single chairperson. This new departmental structure included 1) an updated definition of faculty composition, 2) voting privileges to all non-prefixed faculty, regardless of the location of those faculty, 3) changes in the composition of the executive committee of the department, and 4) creation of an associate chairperson position for Grand Rapids. These changes were affirmatively voted upon and enacted in the departmental bylaws in December 2009.
Departmental leadership is provided by:
- Department Chair: William C. Wadland, MD, MS
- Senior Associate Chair: Mary Barth Noel, PhD, MPH, RD
- Associate Chair for Grand Rapids Community: John vanSchagen, MD
- Associate Chair for Academic Affairs: Henry Barry, MD, MS
- Associate Chair for Clinical Affairs: David Walsworth, MD
- Associate Chair for Graduate Education: David Weismantel, MD, MS
- Department Administrator: Barbara S. Garvey, MSN, MBA