For Medical Students
The College of Human Medicine is a community-based medical school which means clinical practice, undergraduate and graduate medical education, and research takes place across seven campuses through affiliations with local hospitals, physicians, and other health care providers. Our campuses are located in Flint, Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Midland Regional, Traverse City and the Upper Peninsula Region. This makes CHM an ideal choice for medical students who are interested in family medicine.
An active Family Medicine Interest Group engages students in hands-on exploration of family medicine through activities such as casting and suturing clinics, discussions with family medicine faculty members, and social events.
The Department of Family Medicine has one of the highest teaching commitments of any clinical department in the College of Human Medicine. It exercises leadership in key courses including those focusing on humanities and medicine, clinical skills, and musculoskeletal medicine.
The Department conducts an eight-week Family Medicine Clerkship which addresses the clinical content of family medicine. In interviews with fourth-year students requesting a letter of recommendation to a Family Medicine residency, the chair of the department has encountered many students who say they made their career choice as a result of their experiences in this clerkship. Experiences are also available in outpatient and inpatient electives, geriatric care, research, rural practice, sports medicine, palliative care/end of life, and a family medicine sub-internship.
Steve Roskos, MD, is the lead clerkship director. Community clerkship coordinators and staff are:
- Lansing: FMC Director, Julie Phillips, MD; Staff, Jim Brinker
- Flint: FMC Director, Ken Yokosawa, MD; Staff, Nancy Rossi
- Grand Rapids: FMC Director, Steve DeLapp, MD; Staff, Deb Cleland
- Kalamazoo: FMC Director, Peter Ziemkowski, MD; Staff, Marcia Kendall
- Midland: FMC Director, Paula Klose, MD; Staff, Katrina Krueger
- Traverse City: FMC Director, Lynn Swan, MD; Staff, Callie Langenderfer
- Upper Peninsula: FMC Director, Suzi Clark, MD, Staff, Connie Miller & Angela Salmi