Dr. Pearson is a professor in the MSU Department of Family Medicine and assistant dean for graduate medical education for the College of Human Medicine. He is the senior associate director of the Sparrow/MSU Family Medicine Residency, director of the MSU Sports Medicine Fellowship and team physician for MSU Football. As assistant dean, he serves as the designated institutional official for all MSU-CHM-sponsored residency and fellowship programs in the Lansing Community Campus.
He received his MD from Wayne State University School of Medicine in 1981 and has been a fellow in the MSU Family Medicine Faculty Development Fellowship Program. He is board certified in family medicine with a certificate of added qualification in sports medicine. Dr. Pearson is a fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians and the American College of Sports Medicine. He served as physician for the United States delegation to the 1999 World University Games in Mallorca, Spain, and has served as the medical director of the Michigan Breast Cancer Three-Day for several years.
- Zhu DC, Nogle S, Russell D, Covassin T, Pearson RL, DeMarco K, Kaufman DI. Identifying potentially vulnerable functional networks in sports concussion: resting- state MRI longitudinal study. Poster presentation at 2015 Big Ten/Ivy League CIC Summit, July 17-18, 2015, Chicago, IL.
- Zhu DC, Covassin T, Nogle S, Doyle S, Russell D, Pearson RL, Monroe J, Liszewski CM, DeMarco JK, Kaufman DI. A potential biomarker in sports-related concussion: brain functional connectivity alteration of the default-mode network measured with longitudinal resting-state fMRI over thirty days. J Neurotrauma. 2015 Mar 1;32(5):327-41. doi: 10.1089/neu.2014.3413. Epub 2014 Dec 16
- Zhu DC, Covassin T, Nogle S, Doyle S, Russell D, Pearson R, Monroe J, Liszewski C, DeMarco JK, Kaufman D. The Dynamically Changing Default-Mode Network after Concussion in Sports: a Resting-State fMRI and DTI Integration Study. Oral presentation in International Society for Magnetic Resonance in Medicine, 22nd Annual Meeting and Exhibition, May 10-16, 2014, Milan, Italy.
- Zhu DC, Pearson R, Covassin T, Nogle S, Doyle S, Russell D, Monroe J, Liszewski C, DeMarco JK, Kaufman D. A potential biomarker in sports-related concussion: brain functional connectivity alteration of the default –mode network measured with sequential resting state fMRI. American Academy of Neurology Annual Meeting, April 26, 2014, Philadelphia, PA.
- Sparrow Physicians Hall of Fame, 2015
- MSU-CHM Outstanding Clinician Award, 2014