The goal of the geriatric fellowship is to provide training and experiences to enhance the knowledge and skills of physicians in geriatric medicine, which include the following
- Extensive training in the care of the geriatric patient from the healthy to the frail
- Extensive training in the variety of venues in which the geriatric patient receives medical care – ambulatory sites, the home, the nursing facility, the hospital – with special attention placed on maintaining the functional health of the patient
- Special knowledge and skills to become educators of other health professionals in geriatric care
- Administrative skills required to manage geriatric programs in the community, assisted living, and long-term care environments
- Experience in writing grants, and performing research with abstracts, papers and presentations at scientific meetings.