John E. vanSchagen, MD, is senior associate chair of the MSU Department of Family Medicine. He is a graduate of the MSU College of Human Medicine. He joined the MSU faculty at the Grand Rapids campus in 1994 and became Residency Program Director for the Grand Rapids Family Medicine Residency Program in 2006. He and his wife have been actively involved with other CHM alumni in encouraging support and fundraising for the college.
- Foley KT, Neuberger M, Noel MM, Sleight D, vanSchagen J, Wadland WC. Advancing geriatrics fellowship programs through a community-based residency network. Family Medicine (2013)45:10;719-25.
- English SK, vanSchagen J E (2011), Creating a Geriatric Medicine Fellowship Program in 10 “Easy” Steps. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society, 59: 1934–1940. doi: 10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03554. (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1532-5415.2011.03554.x/full)
- April 2015: vanSchagen JE, Phillips JP, Roskos SE, Barry HC, Wadland WC. The Integrated Program (TIP): An Innovative scholarship model for community-based residencies. 48th Annual Spring STFM Conference, Orlando, FL.
- September 2014: vanSchagen JE. Using New Innovations to Capture the Milestones. MSU Family Medicine Residency Network Retreat, Marquette, MI.
- April 2013: vanSchagen JE, et al. Co-presenter for workshop on "Baseline Assessment of PGY-1s." Association of Family Medicine Residency Directors, Program Directors' Workshop Kansas City, MO.
- May 2013: vanSchagen JE. (Poster) A Comparison of Techniques to Shift the Case Mix Index: Didactic Lecture or Elbow-to-Elbow Support? Michigan Family Medicine Research Day XXXVI, Howell, MI.
- November 2013: Malouin RA, Faucher A, vanSchagen J, Wadland WC, Neuberger M. Measuring the Primary Care Attributes of the Michigan State University Family Medicine Residency Network, NAPCRG, Ontario, Canada.
- February 2012: Wadland WC, vanSchagen J. A Tale of Two Cities - Levering Medical School Expansion with success for the department of family medicine. ADFN, Palm Springs, CA.
- April 2012:
- Wadland WC, vanSchagen J, Foley KT. Leading a Residency Network to Advance Fellowships in Geriatrics. 45th Annual STFM, Seattle, WA.
- 2014-Present: Family Medicine, Grievance/Complaint Hearing Panel, CHM, MSU
- 2015-Present: Family Medicine, Student Performance Committee.
- 2006-Present: CHM, Reappointment, Promotion and Tenure Committee (Chair, 2013–Present).
- 2013-Present: GRME Partners, Chair, Clinical Learning Environment Review (CLER) Advisory Committee, Grand Rapids, MI.
- 2013-Present: GRME Partners, Chair, Graduate Medical Education Committee.
- 2010-Present: GRME Partners, abstract reviewer and presentation judge for annual Research Day.
- 2005-Present: Kent County Medical Society, Membership Committee.
- 2015-Present: Mercy Health Saint Mary's Hospital, Medical Executive Committee, Grand Rapids, MI.
- 2007-Present: Michigan State Medical Society, Delegate for Kent County.
- 2014-Present: GME Committee, Pine Rest Christian Mental Health Services Psychiatry Residency Program, Grand Rapids, MI.
- 1994-Present: Michigan Academy of Family Physicians (MAFP).
- 1994-Present: Michigan State Medical Society
- 2013-Present: North American Primary Care Research Group (NAPCRG).
- 1988-Present: Society of Teachers of Family Medicine (STFM).
- Sports Medicine
- Pre-doctoral Education